Re: XHTML 2.0 and hreflang

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:49:06 +0100
To: <www-html@w3.org>

*Christian Wolfgang Hujer*:

> start.de.xhtml start.de.xhtml.gz start.de.html start.de.html.gz
> start.en.xhtml start.en.xhtml.gz start.en.html start.en.html.gz
>
> GET /start.de HTTP/1.1
> Accept: application/xhtml+xml
> Accept-Encoding: x-gzip
>
> This will result in a 406 response.

Sure, but if I remember the RFC correctly, it's okay for the server to send
the most likely choice in the body anyway, start.de.xhtml.gz here. Apache
doesn't do that by default, though.
One could take the Referer into account, too.

> If the @hreflang contained in the document had been taken into account,

I agree that the attribute is useful and shouldn't be removed, but maybe
improved.

> the request would look like e.g. this:
> GET /start HTTP/1.1

Assuming 'href="start" hreflang="de, en"' and the former Accept-Language, it
should be

  GET /start HTTP/1.1

that means only the Polish part ("pl;q=0.5") gets stripped out.

".pl" for Polish pages nicely collides with Perl scripts by the way.