Re: h and section/div

From: Jewett, Jim J <jim.jewett@eds.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:54:47 -0400
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

"Ernest Cline" <ernestcline@mindspring.com> responded:

> A good idea, but one which I feel should be addressed by
> the use of the <caption> element instead of the <title> or
> <h> element.

[Because semantically, a div or block is not large enough to
make the main table of contents.  If you have a table of
figures, it can look for captions instead of titles.]

OK, I'm now convinced that caption should be used instead,
and h should be limited to a direct child of body or section.

I still think it should be limited to at most one per body or

	Supposedly, this applies to the whole document.

	So it is redundant with title, except for the fact that
	it should display, instead of just "being available".

	Wait, how can there be two headings that apply to
	the whole document?  People *will* use it to
	describe the next section.
<h>	Supposedly, this applies to the whole section.
	In practice, it will be used to describe the next
	lower-level division.
			So this heading will either be left out,
			or used for	the next div, which should
			have a caption instead.
			for div2, obviously, since you don't need
			a second header	on the section.
	Again, this supposedly applies to the whole section,
	even though it already has a heading.  It will be used
	for the next div

	Another heading for the whole document, not just for
	the next section...
Random text that people will assume is described by the
heading just above.