h and section/div

From: Jewett, Jim J <jim.jewett@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 18:35:25 -0400
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

I understand (and agree with) the decision to replace H1 through H6.

<section class="legal"> is certainly better than overloading <h6>.

But I don't think the current definition of <h> fully solves the
semantics<->markup mapping problem.  I suggest changing the models of
section, div, and block* to include at most one optional title as the first

Semantically, section would be something you might expect to see in a table
of contents, like a chapter.  div or block* would be more like an example;
an example within a chapter is not more important than an example within a

<h>Title of the first section.</h>
	asdlfjasldfjk asdlfjkasldfjk
	This section has no heading.
		<h>level 3 heading.</h>

Additional problems with the current definition,  based on the draft

	<h>This is a top level heading</h>
	Oh, h floats up and heads the whole document.
	Also, things can be outside of any section.

....If I put <h>h directly inside a paragraph</h> that would be wrong.
Instead, I have to write
			<h>This is still attached to the top of the
document, right?</h>
			There was no section yet, so it should float up to
body or html.
			The heading is OK now <em>because</em> I'm inside a
			which can appear inside a blockquote which can
appear inside a
    <h>This is a second-level heading</h>
	It applies to the whole section, including the paragraph that
already finished.
	Well, unless there is an implicit div created by the h and ended by
the next h?
    <h>This is another second-level heading</h>
	It applies to the same section though, so it must be retitled?  Or
maybe h really
	maps to the next section beneath it?
    <h>This is another second-level heading</h>
        <h>This is a third-level heading</h>