Re: XHTML 2 WD: Embedding Attribute Collection Comments

From: Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:45:41 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org

Tom McDonnell wrote:

> Having reviewed the latest Working Draft, I felt I must comment on the
> Embedding Attribute Collection.
> I don't see any need for the collection, the <object> element already
> provides this functionality. Take the first example in the working draft:
>         An image of us on holiday.
> Shouldn't this be done:
> <object data="holiday.png" type="image/png">
>   <object data="holiday.gif" type="image/gif">
>   </object>
> </object>
> Ditto can be applied to the table example.
> I really feel the working drafts example is misuse of <p> element; the
> collection is blurring the lines of the purpose of elements. The generic
> <object> element was designed encapsulate fallback logic, so I cannot
> understand why this new attribute collection has been introduced to serve
> the same purpose. I suggest it be dropped.

Whether it is a misuse of the <p> element depends upon whether the
image in question is logigically equivalent to a paragraph, which it
probably is not. However consider the following:

<li src="poolside.png" type="image/png">
     Lounging at poolside

as a list item in a list of things the document author did on her
holiday. Compared to:

  <object data="poolside.png" type="image/png">
    <object data="poolside.gif" type="image/gif">
      Lounging at poolside

there is one less element being used to achieve the same effect and
there is no doubt in my example that it legiiamately is a list item.
An even more compact example would be:

<li src="poolside" type="image/png,image/gif;q=0.1">
   Lounging at poolside

As it takes advantage of the extenstion of the  type parameter from a
single Content type (as per HTML4/XHTML1) to a list of content types to
render the example more compact. The equivalent using object would be:

  <object data="poolside" type="image/png,image/gif;q=0.1">
    Lounging at poolside

Personally I am in favor of making it clear that the object element is
intended only for the more complictaed sorts of emebeddings that
benefit from archive, content-length, declare, param, and/or standby.