Re: cite attribute's limitations (was: kelvSYC's Thoughts on the new XHTML Draft)

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 02:05:07 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org

Jens Meiert wrote:
>>I have a book here without an ISBN. What's your suggestion for that?
>
> Normally each book has an ISBN.

Books published before ISBN was created don't. A lot of research papers
and reports also don't. I also can't refer you to the Introduction if
I can only give you the ISBN.

> If you reference to sources that do not have any standardized origin,
> you cannot use the cite attribute,

The question is then, what /do/ I use?

> or you have to reference alternatively, e.g. by linking to an URL
> where you found the book.

Not sure what you mean by this. I found the book in the library.

~fantasai, who thinks there should be a simple, human-readable format
            for attributions (which can be backed by a URI if available)