Re: kelvSYC's Thoughts on the new XHTML Draft

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 01:54:04 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org

Tantek Çelik wrote:
> On 5/8/03 8:05 PM, "kelvSYC" <kelvsyc@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>>address Element:
>>I'd call this either a metadata element or a footer element.  address
>>just sounds wrong.
>
> How is this data about data?  And address may just be that, an address.  It
> does not have to be the address OF something.

I think the reason behind this is that <address> is defined for contact
information and is often used for similar metadata, like copyright info.

> Now, that being said, <address> is woefully inadequate to markup typical
> address information.  Perhaps someone needs to come up with a vCard XHTML
> module (perhaps somebody already has).

If you look at the example in HTML 4.01, VCard seems like overkill.
<l> should do for that.

(I'm still not convinced that XHTML needs something like
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/address.html )

>>kbd and samp Elements:
>>I'd say rename these to input and output so that it can encompass a
>>greater range of semantics...
>
> i believe those names would conflict (semantically at least for humans, even
> if namespaces are used to uniquify the terms for machines).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Would you give an example?

~fantasai