Re: <blocksamp> and <blockkbd> (was Re: kelvSYC's Thoughts on the new XHTML Draft)

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Tantek [ISO-8859-1] Çelik wrote:

> Yet I can see no _need_ for a full fledged _CompML_.  Thus the need chain is
> broken and there is no need.
>
> Actually, I suppose I can see one need for a CompML: it would be the ideal
> punishment for the hardcore "use XML for everything" crowd (AKA XML
> fascists), [...]

The very widely used DocBook markup language includes a huge number of
computer-specific markup elements, including <accel>, <action>,
<application>, <classname>, <classsynopsis>, <classsynopsisinfo>,
<cmdsynopsis>, <command>, etc.

See http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/docbook.html

XHTML and DocBook don't really overlap in terms of target audience -- in
fact anyone asking for dozens of new elements in XHTML should probably be
using DocBook, and anyone finding DocBook ridiculously over-engineered
should probably be using XHTML.