Re: My thoughts on XHTML 2

On Thursday 23 January 2003 3:37 pm, Jonas Jørgensen wrote:
> Philip TAYLOR [PC336/H-XP] wrote:
> >>Assuming DOM support, there is no real need for
> >><noscript> - and only modern, future browsers will
> >>support XHTML 2 you may assume this
> >
> > I would respectfully strongly disagree; even using the most
> > modern browser(s), I still operate with JavaScript disabled
> > by default
>
> I don't understand your argument. Why do you think XHTML 2.0 needs the
> <noscript> element?

Well perhaps I have misunderstood, but your argument appears to be that
there is no reason to cater to XHTML 2.0 user-agents that don't process
scripts.  Or are you saying that there is a better way of rendering content
for only non-script-processing user-agents?

Jonas was pointing out a single reason why an XHTML 2.0 user-agent would not
process scripts - user choice.  An informed choice, btw, considering the
history of browser security.  CERT have recommended disabling scripting in
browsers on quite a few occasions, I believe.

I don't see the ability to run scripts as a fundamental part of XHTML 2.0,
and I'm sure plenty of user-agents will not implement it, and the vast
majority that do will have an option to switch it off.

I don't particularly like the <noscript> element, but I don't particularly
like the <script> element either.  Shouldn't every use of the <script>
element be covered by a linked script that takes its cue from the page
structure?

--
Jim Dabell