RE: Promotion of XHTML

From: Richard Norman <normri@samc.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:56:52 -0800
To: <roconnor@Math.Berkeley.EDU>, <www-html@w3.org>

One other thing I would like to say about this is that in reading the
section of the specification, the "most" of the browsers have taken the
clearer high road as opposed to the technically correct road.  Taken
from the spec mentioned...
Some SGML SHORTTAG constructs save typing but add no expressive
capability to the SGML application. Although these constructs
technically introduce no ambiguity, they reduce the robustness of
documents, especially when the language is enhanced to include new
So in a sense they are cleaning up the spec where the the root
specification can not (since HTML and XHTML are based upon SGML, they
can not remove these shortcuts from their root I believe)
So anyway, I am glad to fully know this now.  Thanks for the info..
Richard Norman