RE: HTML or XHTML - why do you use it?

From: Peter Foti (PeterF) <PeterF@SystolicNetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 16:11:12 -0500
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

I'm curious... how does the OS determine which program to open the file with
if there is no extension?  For example, if I have three files:

textfile
htmlfile
binaryfile

how does the OS know that I want to open textfile with a word processor,
htmlfile with a user agent, and binaryfile with some other associated
program?

Regards,
Peter