Re: vague thought - grid tag

From: Stephen Brooks <sb@stephenbrooks.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:09:51 -0000
To: "Lachlan Hunt" <lhunt07@netscape.net>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>

To clarify what I was trying to say, I wasn't really advocating the use of
such a thing for trivial presentational layout like putting a menu to the
side of a document rather than at the top, or various frame things.  Rather,
I had mind diagram-like or equation-like content that is by its nature
2-dimensional and needs to be positioned as such to make sense but really
can't be classed as a "table" (note: a blind person might not be able to
_see_ two dimensions, but they are certainly able to understand them).  On
thinking about it, it looks like SVG could be better for it, not HTML.  It's
just that impatient people (like me) who can't wait for SVG support
sometimes abuse the HTML table tag since at present it gives 2D layout
without paying a price in backwards (below IE 7??) compatibility.

    -Stephen