Re: Comments on HLink

From: Steven Pemberton <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:18:51 +0200
To: "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, <www-html@w3.org>

> target is effectively deprecated.

Actually not. Now with XFrames being a separate spec, and the
strict/loose/frameset trichotomy disappearing, target will be in XHTML 2.

>  It has never been in any strict version of W3C HTML

Indeed it was always in transitional.

> and was deleted entirely in HTML 1.1.

This is a misunderstanding that maybe the HTML WG should try and clear up;
it was a question frequently asked that we didn't understand.

XHTML 1.1 is only an update of XHTML 1.0 strict. XHTML 1.0 transitional and
frameset didn't get deleted, just not updated, because there was nothing to
update.

> (It is considered part of frames, with that's problem of multidimensional
> states that can't be represented by URLs.).

Actually target is a part of Frames *and* Windowing. See XFrames for
representing multidimensional states in URLs.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xframes/

Steven Pemberton
Chair, W3C HTML Working Group