Re: Comments on HLink

> > target is effectively deprecated.
>
> Actually not. Now with XFrames being a separate spec, and the
> strict/loose/frameset trichotomy disappearing, target will be in XHTML 2.

XFrames is a rework.  It's not backwards compatible, so frames as we know
them, and as will almost certainly continue to be used in commercial
web sites for the next decade (commercial authors consider a world
wide web to be a bad thing++, so the ability to deep link the state of a
frameset is not going to make them want to change to a new technology),
are effectively deprecated and replaced by something else with similar
presentational aims.

> This is a misunderstanding that maybe the HTML WG should try and clear up;
> it was a question frequently asked that we didn't understand.

This idea certainly has been going unchallenged for a long time in the
relevant mailing lists.

> XHTML 1.1 is only an update of XHTML 1.0 strict. XHTML 1.0 transitional and
> frameset didn't get deleted, just not updated, because there was nothing to
> update.

If the intention was always to only replace the strict DTD, "Strict"
should have been retained in the formal public identifier (incidentally,
the first error in last weeks off topic question with broken XHTML was
including Strict in the FPI!).

> Actually target is a part of Frames *and* Windowing. See XFrames for
> representing multidimensional states in URLs.

Unfortunately, it cannot represent the state of scripting language variables
associated with the frameset.

++ Most run of the mill company web sites want only inwards or internal
links, not outgoing ones, and want incoming ones to go to the home page,
in spite of usability experts telling them that this is bad use of the
medium.  (I'm acting devil's advocate here.)