Re: br element should be eliminated

Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> A formal comment on the "XHTML 2.0 W3C Working Draft 5 August 2002":

A formal comment should be sent to www-html-editor@w3.org, please.
(Of course you may discuss here, but the WG cannot guarantee all
comments expressed on this mailing list will be addressed, although
they try hard to do so as much as possible.)

> The line element in XHTML 2.0 is a good thing. It removes one of the
> last presentational elements in HTML.
>
> However, as long as XHTML 2.0 is breaking backwards compatibility by
> eliminating img, rewriting frames, and more; I see no reason to keep
> br. I suggest throwing it out completely. That can only simplify the
> spec and implementations.

At the last face-to-face meeting, the HTML WG indeed decided to throw
out "br".  The WG is working hard to reflect decisions at that meeting
to the spec, and the next draft is expected by the end of this month.
Unfortunately we couldn't go through all issues raised so far, but
some of them will be addressed in the next draft.  Stay tuned.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium