br element should be eliminated

From: <SCJessey@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:09:34 EDT
To: www-html@w3.org
Elliotte Rusty Harold says:-

<<The line element in XHTML 2.0 is a good thing. It removes one of the
last presentational elements in HTML.

However, as long as XHTML 2.0 is breaking backwards compatibility by
eliminating img, rewriting frames, and more; I see no reason to keep
br. I suggest throwing it out completely. That can only simplify the
spec and implementations>>

I agree with this sentiment entirely.  I'm afraid I fail to understand why it
is necessary to have any deprecated elements in a specification that is not
supposed to be backwards-compatible.  In effect, XHTML 2.0 should be treated
as a "new" markup language.

Simon Jessey
e: <A HREF="mailto:scjessey@aol.com">scjessey@aol.com</A>
w: <A HREF="http://jessey.net/">http://jessey.net</A>