Re: WD-xhtml2-20021211 comments

From: (wrong string) äper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 23:46:02 +0100
To: "Alexander Savenkov" <w3@hotbox.ru>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>

Alexander Savenkov:
> Hello Christoph, everyone,

>> Actually "alt" was introduced for such tasks back when img was still
around.

> Well, the lines you quoted here are actually *yours* :)

I know. I've no problem with correcting myself.

>> point is, that I use title on other elements for different tasks than
>> providing a substitute. It's inconsequent to use it as such on abbr.
>
> I quite agree, but then what you need is to rename the attribute, not
> to add another one.

title is a common attribute that should not be removed.

>> Petrol Exporting Countries" alt="Organisation Erdöl exportierender
>> Länder">OPEC</abbr> hat eine Verringerung der Erdölfördermenge
>> beschlossen.</p>
>
> Now you employed 'alt'. How can a UA know the 'alt' is in German?
> Well, you would say that the <p>'s language shows that.

Indeed.

> Let's look at the XML1SE more closely [1]:

Although this is about XHTML2, I guess it's already such defined in XML 1.0.

> "A special attribute named xml:lang may be inserted in documents to
> specify the language used in the contents >>>and attribute values<<<
> of any element in an XML document."

Wasn't it possible to override this in the spec?

>> The need for pre is becoming less, but it's still there.
>
> I don't think so. If you really need those ascii-poems or passages
> from some other fixed-width source use paragraphs and CSS.

That's not correct if the poem layout carries meaning, thus at most using
&nbsp; would be okay.

>> it's been renamed to label, already,
>
> Reminds me of the form elements. Not a good choice either.

ACK.

Christoph Päper