RE: Table element's width attribute in the basic table

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) <jim.bigelow@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:41:04 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

Christian wrote:
> 1. The URLs you gave are those of the candidate recommendation. That's
> old
> stuff. Try the recommendation instead. The candidate recommendation and
> recommendation really might differ.
> 2. There are two tables modules, don't mix them up:
> - Basic Tables Module
> - Tables Module
> They really differ.
> Tables Module is used by XHTML 1.1.
> Basic Tables Module is used by XHTML Basic.
> Any more questions?

Thank you for the advice. I looked at the Recommendation 10 April 2001
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/) and it still has the difference

1. the definition of the table element in the Basic Tables Module
lemodule), and

2. the DTD for the Basic Tables Module

In 1. the table element has a width attribute, in 2. it does not.

3. I also looked in the Modularization of XHTML(tm) in XML Schema, W3C
Working Draft 15 August 2002 (
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xhtml-m12n-schema-20020815/) in this document
the section for Basic Tables
Defines the table element as follows:

    <xs:attributeGroup name="table.attlist">
        <xs:attributeGroup ref="Common.attrib"/>
        <xs:attribute name="summary" type="Text"/>

    <xs:complexType name="table.type" >
        <xs:group ref="table.content"/>
        <xs:attributeGroup ref="table.attlist"/>
    <xs:element name="table" type="table.type"/>

I now see where I strayed into the D4.4.2. Tables and used the wrong
definition for table.attlist.

I infer from the fact that two out of the three definitions of the Basic
Tables Module (2. in the DTD and 3. in XML Schema) do not show the table
attribute with an attribute width, the statement that the table element has
a width attribute made in 1. is wrong.

Jim Bigelow,
Editor: XHTML-Print & CSS Print Profile
IEEE, Printer Working Group