Table element's width attribute in the basic table

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) <jim.bigelow@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:20:19 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

Hello,

The Modularization of XHTML
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xhtml-modularization-20001020/) defines the
attributes for the table element in section 5.6.1 Basic Tables Module
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xhtml-modularization-20001020/abstract_modules
.html#s_simpletablemodule).  This section says that there is a width
attribute for the table element. However, the DTD in F.3.5.1
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xhtml-modularization-20001020/dtd_module_defs.
html#a_module_Basic_Tables) does not specify a width attribute.

My question: which is right, is width an attribute of the table element or
not? Since an author can use the width property, having a width element
seems redundant.

However, when I look at Modularization of XHTML(tm) in XML Schema, Draft 9
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xhtml-m12n-schema-20021209/) the section on
the basic tables module
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xhtml-m12n-schema-20021209/schema_module_defs.
html#sec_D.4.4.) contains not only the width attribute but many attributes
not in the Modularization of XHTML, such as border, cellpadding, and
cellspacing.

I wonder why attributes not in the first modularization are in the one with
XML Schema? Can anyone help me understand which attributes are valid?

Jim Bigelow,
Editor of XHTML-Print, for IEEE, Printer Working Group
http://www.pwg.org/xhtml-print/HTML-Version/XHTML-Print.html
Hewlett-Packard
208-396-2068
jim.bigelow@hp.com