Re: Table element's width attribute in the basic table

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 17. Dezember 2002 20:20 schrieb BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1):
> Hello,
>
> The Modularization of XHTML
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xhtml-modularization-20001020/) defines the
> attributes for the table element in section 5.6.1 Basic Tables Module
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xhtml-modularization-20001020/abstract_module
>s .html#s_simpletablemodule).  This section says that there is a width
> attribute for the table element. However, the DTD in F.3.5.1
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xhtml-modularization-20001020/dtd_module_defs
>. html#a_module_Basic_Tables) does not specify a width attribute.
>
> My question: which is right, is width an attribute of the table element or
> not? Since an author can use the width property, having a width element
> seems redundant.
>
> However, when I look at Modularization of XHTML(tm) in XML Schema, Draft 9
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xhtml-m12n-schema-20021209/) the section on
> the basic tables module
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xhtml-m12n-schema-20021209/schema_module_defs
>. html#sec_D.4.4.) contains not only the width attribute but many attributes
> not in the Modularization of XHTML, such as border, cellpadding, and
> cellspacing.
>
> I wonder why attributes not in the first modularization are in the one with
> XML Schema? Can anyone help me understand which attributes are valid?
1. The URLs you gave are those of the candidate recommendation. That's old
stuff. Try the recommendation instead. The candidate recommendation and the
recommendation really might differ.

2. There are two tables modules, don't mix them up:
- Basic Tables Module
- Tables Module
They really differ.
Tables Module is used by XHTML 1.1.
Basic Tables Module is used by XHTML Basic.

Any more questions?

Bye
--
ITCQIS GmbH