Re: Is this legal XHTML 1.1?

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:24:26 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "www-html@w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>

At 3:43 AM +0000 12/9/02, Ian Hickson wrote:

>Also, if you are using the "width" attribute it implies that your use of
>tables is presentational, which is a no-no in XHTML 1.1 (and XHTML 1.0 and
>HTML 4.x, for that matter).

Yes, that's fairly accurate. Unfortunately using CSS to get the same
effect is pretty much impossible in the current web browser base. I
suppose I could use frames but that would be out of the frying pan
into the fire.

>Why aren't you using HTML 3.2?

In practice, I do. I'm just experimenting to see if it's possible to
move on. The short answer seems to be no, it isn't; and it doesn't
seem likely to be for years to come. XHTML might have some use beyond
the traditional browser, but it's not a usable solution for web sites