Re: Scrollbars in Table Cells?

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 22:26:11 +0900 (JST)
To: chris@seahen.net
Cc: www-html@w3.org

"SeaHen" <chris@seahen.net> wrote:

> The only real advantage frames have over tables is separate scroll bars. But table cells could have them too!
>
> The codes would be:
> <TD WIDTH=a HEIGHT=b HSCROLL=c VSCROLL=d>
> Here, we see, at any time, an A-by-B region of the cell, minus scrollbar width, but we scroll around a C-by-D area.

Use 'overflow' property of CSS2.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visufx.html#propdef-overflow

Not many browsers support that property yet, but it works with
Gecko-based browsers such as Mozilla and Netscape 6/7, for example.

> I'd also like to see frames become more addressable. One way to do this would be to put the frame content in the frameset file, with this new tag:
>
> <SUBHTML NAME="top"><HEAD>

The HTML Working Group is working on XFrames, an XML application to
replace (X)HTML Frames.  The first public Working Draft is expected
soon.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org