RE: XHTML 1.1 DTD, Bug in AElfred (used by saxon)

Hello all,

I think XHTML 1.1 DTD should be changed, but this is not a bug in XHTML 1.1
DTD but in XML Parsers.

Here is what I got with saxon is an error in saxon's XML Parser, AElfred:
Transformation failed: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/DTD/xhtml11-model-1.mod

The reason is:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd *declares* this Entity:
<!ENTITY % xhtml-model.mod PUBLIC
	"-//W3C//ENTITIES XHTML 1.1 Document Model 1.0//EN"
	"xhtml11-model-1.mod"

(contains relative URI: xhtml11-model-1.mod)

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/DTD/xhtml-framework-1.mod
*references* this Entity:
<!ENTITY % xhtml-model.module "INCLUDE" >
<![%xhtml-model.module;[
	<!-- instantiate the Document Model module declared in the DTD driver -->
	%xhtml-model.mod;
]]>
(changed formatting of cites for readability)

From the XML Recommendation:
"Unless otherwise provided by information outside the scope of
this specification (e.g. a special XML element type defined by a particular
DTD, or a processing instruction defined by a particular application
specification),
relative URIs are relative to the location of the resource within which the
entity declaration occurs."

Means *declaration*, not *reference*.
But AElfred resolves the URI of the external parsed entity "xhtml-model.mod"
at the *reference* the entity, not at the *declaration* of the entity.

So this is what AElfred resolves:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/DTD/xhtml11-model-1.mod
And this is what XML Parsers must load:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11-model-1.mod

So AElfred, at least the version used by saxon, has a bug.

Since more XML Parsers and software based on them might have this bug, and
since it will take some time until these bugs are fixed, I suggest, that the
HTML working group changes the URI of the drivers to be absolute URLs.

I suggest changing
<!ENTITY % xhtml-model.mod PUBLIC
	"-//W3C//ENTITIES XHTML 1.1 Document Model 1.0//EN"
	"xhtml11-model-1.mod"

<!ENTITY % xhtml-model.mod PUBLIC
	"-//W3C//ENTITIES XHTML 1.1 Document Model 1.0//EN"
	"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11-model-1.mod"

Greetings

Christian Hujer