Re: Indicating browser support for XHTML1.0

From: William F. Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: 22 Nov 2001 17:21:26 -0500
To: "Christian Wolfgang Hujer" <Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com>
Cc: "Monostory Miklos" <dkmm@axelero.hu>, "www-html" <www-html@w3.org>
"Christian Wolfgang Hujer" <Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com> writes:

> > So, in this language there are many "special character", whats are well
> > represented in iso-8859-2,
> > but quite slow to type their etnities.
>
> which is of no interest because you simple use an XSLT copy transformation
> that reads iso-8859-2 and writes ASCII. It's all so simple :)

                                   ^^^^^

I assume that you mean UTF-8, not ASCII.

The use of an XSLT engine for this might be viewed as "overkill".

It is not unreasonable to expect that one's editing interface has
provision for keyboard entry of the user's local character set with
saving in UTF-8.  Another approach would be using a parser that reads
the local character set and re-writes the document in XML form under
UTF-8.  (SP can do this.)

                                    -- Bill