RE: Indicating browser support for XHTML1.0

Hello Wiliam F. Hammond, dear list members,

No, i meant ASCII. ASCII documents are UTF-8 documents and ISO-8859-1
documents at the same time, since it is their basis and denominator.

UTF-8 requires an additional charset information in HTML4 (and causes
problems in some browsers), while ISO-8859-1 requires an additional charset
information in XHTML 1.0 (the XML declaration, which causes problems in some
browsers), so to be safe, simple use their denominator, which is US-ASCII-7
(which works in really all browsers).

> The use of an XSLT engine for this might be viewed as "overkill".
I don't think so, since it also can be used for solving several other site
related tasks like adding layout to content.

> It is not unreasonable to expect that one's editing interface has
> provision for keyboard entry of the user's local character set with
> saving in UTF-8.  Another approach would be using a parser that reads
> the local character set and re-writes the document in XML form under
> UTF-8.  (SP can do this.)
the topic was wether to generate HTML 4 and XHTML seperately or if one can
be safe generating XHTML only. Saving UTF-8 is not a solution, saving
anything else isn't, but ASCII is.

Greetings

Christian