List elements (was: Tree Presented Lists )

From: Daniel Hiester <alatus@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:19:58 -0700
To: "www-html" <www-html@w3.org>
From the HTML perspective, I guess I'm trying to find out:

Why is it that we don't simply have an element that means 'list.' Why was it
so important to have the markup parser distinguish the difference between an
ordered and unordered list?

I think the only party that benefits from that knowledge is the human
reading the list, not the computer parsing the document. How does the
computer benefit from knowing whether a list in a document is ordered or
not?

I had a giant email that would have taken an hour, but realized I could say
what I really wanted to say in just thirty seconds, so I cut it all down to
just that.

Daniel