Re: List elements (was: Tree Presented Lists )

* Daniel Hiester wrote:
>Why is it that we don't simply have an element that means 'list.' Why was it
>so important to have the markup parser distinguish the difference between an
>ordered and unordered list?
>
>I think the only party that benefits from that knowledge is the human
>reading the list, not the computer parsing the document.

It's the computer that must present the document to the human. If the
computer doesn't know what presentation could be appropriate, he won't
be able to do his job properly.

>How does the
>computer benefit from knowing whether a list in a document is ordered or
>not?

An application may e.g. collect all definition lists and put it into a
single glossary document. If there was just the 'list' information item,
this would be impossible.