RE: SPAM control on www-html

Masayasu,

Junk mail, according to dictionary.com is: third-class mail (which pretty much says it all imho... ;)), such as advertisements, mailed indiscriminately in large quantities. Opinion, again according to dictionary.com is: A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof. I tend to agree with dictionary.com in that: "junk mail" has nothing whatsoever to do with one's "opinion" on any given matter.

In fact, this thread's topic, although W-A-A-Y off-topic for matters I thought this list addressed, is part and parcel of the reasoning behind the "opt out" legislation concerning internet spamming that has been enacted in the US of late. And yes, I'm fully aware that many, possibly most members, on the list are not from the US. However, I thought manners and courtesy were the norm world-wide.

Whether or not one labels it censorship or public service to rid a given list of junk mail, unless that list was established for the explicit purpose of inundating members with such solicitations, I was simply stating an opinion that it was uncalled for and asking if there were majordomo remedies.

At the end of the day, junk mail is useless trash in my email reader that causes me to take valuable time to first determine that it is in fact junk, then to delete it and recall the train of thought that caused me to subscribe. True opinion is a discussion topic on matters concerning what we do for a living; matters that could potentially prove of great worth to many of us. Point of fact: the latter sentence is THE motivating reason I subscribed to a W3C list in the first place--I appreciate your honesty in calling attention to my assumption in this matter.

Apparently I've stumbled into a list where "political correctness" supercedes useful information; no user has the "right" to clog my bandwidth with useless junk mail simply because they have no list etiquette to speak of. Therefore to keep my opinion from infringing on some person's junk mail [spamming] rights, I will do us all a favor and unsubscribe immediately.

Cheers,
--
David L. Rice
Web Applications