Embed attribute for LINK element

From: Matthew Brealey <thelawnet@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 06:01:38 -0500 (EST)
To: www-style@w3.org, www-html@w3.org
[N.B. cross-posted - both 'a focused discussion about web style sheets'
and HTML; however, replies to www-html]

I suggest an embed attribute for LINK. This would covert the LINKed
resource into an embedded one when saved for offline use. For example,

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" embed="embed"/>

the result given a File/Save command would be a page that looked like

/* The contents of style.css: */

I realise that this is somewhat different from other HTML insofar as it
generates content, but I feel that it would be of enormous benefit - I
find that I have to duplicate much of my LINKed style sheet in my HTML for
offline reading, which rather obviates the advantages of having LINKed
style in the first place.

I also appreciate that the embed attribute might be of little benefit for
any other LINKed resource, but I am reluctant to specify a different rel
value since old browsers would not be able to read them, and therefore for
other LINK types, embed would be ignored/inapplicable.

>From Matthew Brealey (http://members.tripod.co.uk/lawnet (for law)or http://members.tripod.co.uk/lawnet/WEBFRAME.HTM (for CSS))
Do You Yahoo!?