Re: Seperating Document Content from Structure (was RE: inline CSS - score so far)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> Eeesh. What I do is create an HTML template file (I like to use
> *.htpl as a naming convention) and put placeholders in it:
> [...]
> <TITLE>`FOO</TITLE>
> [...]
> <H1>`BAR</H1>
> [...]
>
> Then a Perl CGI slurps the file into a variable, does some s// on the
> placeholders, and serves the result.
>
> $html =~ s/`FOO/$foo/g;
> $html =~ s/`BAR/$bar/g;
>
> Clean and simple.

For tag soup, yes.  The file could be any horrendous mishmash, but the
Perl program, doing text substitution only, wouldn't care.

> HTML remains pure HTML,

If it's a question of replacing "placeholders", entity references work
just as well - besides, of course, being a standardized technique, but
we're not supposed to mention such things - and a SGML-based program
like sgmlnorm can do the rest.

> and the web designer can easily modify the template file without
> seeing any programming code at all.

Never mind validated output, never mind well-formed output, is there
any guarantee that the output will even have proper nesting?  Nah, why
bother, right?;)

Arjun