RE: "fighting it out between WGs" (was: inline CSS)

Jonny Axelsson [mailto:jonny@metastasis.net] wrote:
>As for Microsoft, it would be easier not to believe it is the evil empire
>if MS Office didn't spout such evil code (I'd add MS Frontpage 97 to that,
>2000 has supposedly improved).

I would think the differences between MS Office, Windows IE and Mac IE would
be making it quite clear that Microsoft is not one centralized evil empire.

>The existing
>(standard compliant) mechanisms are good enough to encode a Word/Excel
>document...

No, actually they are nowhere NEAR good enough to encode a Word or Excel
document.  Let alone the fact that I suspect the prime concern for Office is
backwards compatibility with old Office documents - hell hath no fury like
an Office user whose documents suddenly stopped working in their "new and
improved" version - Word provides tons of layout and text options that
simply are not covered by any Web standard.  You can argue whether these
mechanisms are interesting or not - frankly, I don't care - but they are
part of the Office formats, and that incomprehensibly huge installed base is
important to Office.  They do not have the ability to start from scratch -
look at the hullabaloo over the format change between Office 95 and Office
97, and that was considerably less destructive.

>Anyway, removing the style tag will only split the
>mess into two (the style part at the top, the rest inline).

And make the management of such documents considerably more complex.

>assuming that Microsoft will want to comply with XHTML 2.0 (or whereever
>the deprecated style actually will be obsolete or unavailable).

My point yesterday was that I believe removing the inline style attribute
will make XHTML considerably less desirable, and not just for Microsoft.

-Chris Wilson
 Internet Explorer team
 Microsoft