"fighting it out between WGs" (was: inline CSS)

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:00:27 +0100 (Romance Standard Time)
To: Murray Altheim <altheim@eng.sun.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Also sprach Murray Altheim:

 > And beyond all this, it's not up to me. It's up to the entire HTML WG,
 > and we have already put forward our decision, so 'escalate'. Put up your
 > dukes, man! Let's fight this out between WGs, fisticuffs-style. Parry,
 > thrust, jab. I mean, really.

I've seen W3C since the inception from the inside (as staff) as well
as the outside (being a member representative) and I would hate for it
to degenerate into the fist-fight spectacle you're aiming for.
Fortunately, this is not how it works. The job of W3C is to find and
build consensus between members and the web community at large. With
the right people as Working Group chairs and editors, combined with
feedback from other WGs and fora like this, the organization works
amazingly well and Recommendations are produced.

Those with access to the W3C member pages can read more on this topic
in "The Art of Consensus, A Guidebook for W3C Working Group Chairs and
other Collaborators" [1].

[1] http://www.w3.org/Guide/

Regards,

-h&kon

Chief Technology Officer                                Opera Software
Håkon Wium Lie                     http://www.opera.com/people/howcome
howcome@opera.com                                gets you there faster