Re: The Future of HTML (was: Acronyms and Abbreviations)

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@operasoftware.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 22:04:29 +0200 (Europe de l'Ouest (Heure d'été))
To: JOrendorff@ixl.com
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Also sprach JOrendorff@ixl.com:

 > For a change, I'd like to hear from those of you who really
 > know HTML.  HTML 4.0 does have gaps.  What tags do you think
 > belong in future versions?

An good question.

 > For example, (and I don't claim to be an authority on this
 > at all) I'd like to see markup for names:
 >
 >   <name of="book">The Elements of Style</name>
 >   <name of="song">Penny Lane</name>
 >   <name of="periodical">The Alarmist</name>

How about:

Agreed, your examples read better than mine, but mine have the benefit
of working in a few hundred million browsers already.

Perhaps someone should start collecting a list of "standard" class
names?

-h&kon

Chief Technology Officer                                Opera Software
Håkon Wium Lie                     http://www.opera.com/people/howcome
howcome@opera.com                                gets you there faster