Re: Lists within Paragraphs

From: Ambrose Li <acli@acli.interlog.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 15:09:28 -0500 (EST)
To: Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil.kjernsmo@astro.uio.no>
Cc: Frank Boumphrey <bckman@ix.netcom.com>, www-html <www-html@w3.org>
On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 08:55:07PM +0100, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> But, what you are claiming is that
> "Note a) something important, b) something even more important,
> c) something veeeery important!"
> is not a paragraph?

This has also bugged me for a long time. The same thing goes
for <blockquote>, which IMHO could be inside a paragraph, like

   Somerset Maugham wrote that
   A good style should show no sign of effort;
   what is written should seem a happy accident
   and I think this applies to things other than literature.

should be allowed. But the current semantics of <blockquote>
implicitly closes the <p> element; this doesn't make any sense.

I think XHTML/XML are misguided efforts to bring vendors to
comply with standards; we should instead direct our efforts to
educate the vendors and authors about proper SGML and make HTML
sensible.

--
Ambrose Li                   <ai337@freenet.toronto.on.ca>
                              http://www.interlog.com/~acli/