Re: Lists within Paragraphs

From: Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor <roconnor@uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 18:37:21 -0500 (EST)
To: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>
On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> There is an issue that has bothered me for some time: Sometimes, lists,
> particularily ordered lists, are a natural part of a paragraph. In HTML4,
> P must be closed (or is closed if it is not done explicity) before OL is
> opened.

I think this is part of a bigger problem.  Paragraph's can't contain block
level elements.  At first this seems to make a lot of sense.  But it
doesn't work in many instances.

For example often block level mathematical formulas occur in paragraphs.
If we consider

                        x + y = z

as such an example, we see that in this case this paragraph is the still
the same one, but we have a block level element in it.

My take on this issue is that HTML isn't perfect for every document,
nor will it ever be.  It is just a compromise.

       <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~roconnor/>
``And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message''
-- Anindita Dutta, ``The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy''