Re: viewable vs downloadble attachment links

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 05:59:34 -0500 (EST)
To: "Inanis Brooke" <alatus@earthlink.net>, "w3c html" <www-html@w3.org>
At 06:16 12.01.99 -0800, Inanis Brooke wrote:
>Okay, sorry, allow me to be specific: The big two browsers (and probably
>many others, but I wouldn't know, seeing as I haven't tried many of them,)
>will _ by default _ download a zip file as an application octet-stream.
>Users CAN mess with these settings, but there usually is no need.
>[Inanis]

It's the server that decides what MIME type to use on the transferred
entity, and the client that decides what action to take on it.
MSIE decides based on filename extension (urgh) or magic numbers (uurgh)
if the MIME type is application/octet-stream, methinks.

I had a problem once where a Netscape user would get "save to disk, unknown
type", and an MSIE user would get Word started for a .doc document; when
I told the server to use MIME type application/msword for .doc, both
browsers started Word.

                      Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no