Re: viewable vs downloadble attachment links

From: Inanis Brooke <alatus@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 06:16:50 -0800
To: "w3c html" <www-html@w3.org>
|The connection is that in HTML 4.0, one can use the TYPE attribute
|when writing a link (<A HREF=...). I haven't heard of any browser
|support to it yet.

This is why I'd like to see something done to motivate browser vendors!

|> putting the .doc file into a
|> .zip file, and linking to that .zip file, will have the browser ALWAYS
|> download the file (actually, pull up a dialogue - -
|
|Nonsense. A browser processes data the way it has been programmed
|and configured to do. The specifications impose some requirements
|and restrictions on the processing, but not in this area. And you can
|configure your browser to do what you like in this respect. For instance,
|a browser could be configured to launch an unzipping program, perhaps a
|fully automatic one which after unzipping launches some application(s) to
|process the results. This has nothing to do with HTML, but I just had to
|correct the misinformation.

Okay, sorry, allow me to be specific: The big two browsers (and probably
many others, but I wouldn't know, seeing as I haven't tried many of them,)
will _ by default _ download a zip file as an application octet-stream.
Users CAN mess with these settings, but there usually is no need.
[Inanis]