Re: Voyager /HTML element & attribute names should be UPPER-CASE.

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 ptorr@vantsys.com.au wrote:
> Walter Ian Kaye:
> >who finds upper-case tags make it MUCH easier to maintain hand-coded
> >HTML (because it stands out from the text content).
>
> Well, if you fork out $$$ for a web development tool (I use Microsoft
> Visual InterDev), it highlights the HTML tags for you. But obviously that
> isn't an option for everyone.

You don't have to fork out $$$ toget that kind of feature.  Xemacs &
psgml do that, with different highlights for tags, entities, comments
and the doctype.

> Personally, I prefer lower case because it is easier to code, especially if
> you have RSI-related problems which are due mainly to the repeated use of
> the shift / control keys (like me!).

If you have RSI-related problems, there are better solutions than just
avoiding caps. Autocompletion of legal tags, a "close the currently
open tag" command, an attribute editing mode that fills in the
attribute names so you don't have to type them. Emacs-psgml does all
that, but the CONTROL-ALT-META-COKEBOTTLE command structure makes it
otherwise unsuitable for those with RSI-related problems.  I'd be
interested in any HTML editing tool that offers features like those
listed, if you have one.

	<mike