Re: language-shift logical tag?

From: Michael Hamm <msh210@is7.nyu.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:19:09 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-html@w3.org
On 20 Sep 1998 at 16:01:05 -0700, Susan Lesch <lesch@macvirus.com> wrote,
in part, that Lang "is the attribute for Language Codes in HTML 4.0 and
can be used with" many elements. Thus, "is the <span lang="la">sine qua
non</span> of sparring" will display all the text in the same font, and
"is the <em lang="la">sine qua non</em> of sparring" will empahsize the
Latin.

I thank you, but that's not quite what I wanted. I wanted a tag that
itself would specify language change, so that the browser developers can
then decide to underscore or boldface or italicize or do nothing to the
text within the tag. (This is as distinct from <i lang="bl">blah</i>,
which specifies italics.)

I take it there is none at this time. :-/

Michael Hamm
BA, Math, Jan.'01
msh210@nyu.edu
http://pages.nyu.edu/~msh210/