Re: language-shift logical tag?

From: Chris Maden <crism@oreilly.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 15:03:29 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-html@w3.org
[Michael Hamm]
> On 20 Sep 1998 at 16:01:05 -0700, Susan Lesch <lesch@macvirus.com>
> wrote, in part, that Lang "is the attribute for Language Codes in
> HTML 4.0 and can be used with" many elements.
>
> I thank you, but that's not quite what I wanted. I wanted a tag that
> itself would specify language change, so that the browser developers
> can then decide to underscore or boldface or italicize or do nothing
> to the text within the tag. (This is as distinct from <i
> lang="bl">blah</i>, which specifies italics.)

The lang attribute is the way to attach language information to an
element.  The span element is the way to attach attributes to a
section of text without attaching any other meaning.  And
comp.infosystems.www.html.authoring is the proper place to ask HTML
how-to questions. (-:  (www-html is for discussion of the
specification itself, and where it should be going.)

-Chris