Re: Specifications for the NOHREF in various tags

From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:15:28 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
At 12:11a -0700 10/16/98, Murray Macdonald wrote:
>Jukka Korpela wrote:
>
>>   **) In AREA, the special keyword value NOHREF is allowed, too.
>
>I've always wondered why NOHREF isn't supported by <A>.  It is often
>desireable to have links that go nowhere to use as javascript event
>sources.  Some people use <A HREF="#"> but this is not ideal as it gets
>added to the url in most UAs if clicked, not to mention that it
>syntatically lacks elegance.  Although events can easily be triggered
>using the <DIV> tag, I still feel that the <A> tag should support
>NOHREF.  Comments?

I enable onMouseOver for <INPUT TYPE=submit> by hiding an <A> *behind*
it (well it works in IE anyway; not sure about Nav), so the attr value
doesn't really matter because it won't be seen or clicked:

<A HREF="#popcat"
 onMouseOver="window.status='Go to page you have selected from popup menu'; return true"
 onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true"><INPUT
 TYPE="submit" VALUE=" Go "></A><A NAME="popcat">&nbsp;</A>

Just an example to show that certain things are possible within the
current spec. :)

-Walter