Specifications for the NOHREF in various tags

From: Murray Macdonald <murray@mha.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:11:48 -0700
To: Jukka Korpela <jkorpela@alpha.hut.fi>
CC: "www-html@w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>
Jukka Korpela wrote:

>   **) In AREA, the special keyword value NOHREF is allowed, too.

I've always wondered why NOHREF isn't supported by <A>.  It is often
desireable to have links that go nowhere to use as javascript event
sources.  Some people use <A HREF="#"> but this is not ideal as it gets
added to the url in most UAs if clicked, not to mention that it
syntatically lacks elegance.  Although events can easily be triggered
using the <DIV> tag, I still feel that the <A> tag should support
NOHREF.  Comments?

Murray Macdonald                                      http://www.mha.ca
Macdonald Harris and Associates - Vancouver, Canada    Ph. 604.608.0218
Software Development, Web Programming, Database Programming, E-Commerce