Re: Frames spec & the NOFRAMES tag -Reply

Charles Peyton Taylor (ctaylor@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil)
Fri, 06 Mar 1998 10:04:11 -0800

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 10:04:11 -0800
From: Charles Peyton Taylor <ctaylor@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Frames spec & the NOFRAMES tag -Reply

>>> Tim Bagot <tim@oakley.keble.ox.ac.uk> 03/04/98 03:18am >>>
>

>On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Marcus Haas (V.Luckas wrote:
>
>> Hmmm, can you think of any browser that supports BODY-attributes but not
>> frames ?  As far as I'm concerned, the only use for the NOFRAMES-Tag is
>> for text-only browsers like Lynx. If you check the attributes on BODY,
>> you'll see that none of these actually apply...
>
>The spec. also suggests that a frames browser might (for whatever
>reason) be configured not to display frames, and that it should in
>that case display the contents of NOFRAMES.
>
>Tim Bagot

I just did a quick informal survey of browsers to which I have access to see if
they can be configured not to display frames.
The results were so:

MSIE 4.0 (Mac) = yes
Netscape Nav. (Mac) = no
MSIE 4.0 (WinNT) = no
Netscape Com. (WinNT) = no

I found this dissapointing; in my opinion, the browser
belongs to the user, not to the web designer.  It's also
weird because in all the browsers you can override colors
and FONTS, but not frames.