Why not something like this?

<HEAD PROFILE="http://www.mysite.com/profiles/someprofile">
<META NAME="mirror" CONTENT="http://www.somemirror.com/">
<LINK REL="mirror" HREF="http://www.somemirror.com/" TITLE="My Site's USA
Mirror">
</HEAD>
<A REL="mirror" HREF="http://www.somemirror.com/" TITLE="My Site's USA
Mirror">My Linked Topic</A>

This is already supported by the DTD.  Search engines should adapt to use
better HTML, not adapt HTML to the search engines.  Poor use of the current
DTD by UAs is the major problem.  HTML is not all that lacking in
functionality.  It just takes some imagination, foresight. and a lot of
reading.  I see no need to clutter up the DTD with duplicate tags when there
are perfectly usable, backward compatible solutions in place.  We don't need
many more tags, we just need to learn how to best use the current tags.  I
suggest that folks read through the DTD when they have a new idea for an
HTML tag.  I bet that you would be surprised at how much thought was put
into the latest specification.

Look at HTML 4.0 Specification ( http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40 ) Section
7.4.4, Section 6.12, Section 12.2, and Section 12.3

These sections cover all of your concerns, as far as I can tell.  As far as
writing robots to read an HTML file such as submit.html, that sounds like a
good plan.  The name probably should be robots.html, though.  submit.html is
probably commonly used and could cause some problems.  But, that may be a
topic for another group.

,David Norris

My Home's Web - http://kg9ae.dyn.ml.org/ <-- Active evenings
Video/Audio Phone - callto:kg9ae.dyn.ml.org
ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039
E-Mail - kg9ae@geocities.com