Re: newspaper-style columns

From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie>
Date: 18 Jun 1998 16:53:23 +0100
To: dberansky@ucsd.edu
Cc: www-html@w3.org
   I've searched around trying to understand why there aren't any provisions
   for newspaper style columns in HTML. All I've found so far were vague
   hints or explanations that didn't make any sense.  I'd appreciate if
   someone could help me with this (or point me to a resource with a coherent
   explanation).

Because you cannot predict or control the geometry of the user's
browser window. This makes it meaningless to try and implement this
kind of columnar layout online. Look at any of the zines that _do_ try
and see what a bodge it looks like.

///Peter