Re: Suggestion: ALTHREF attribute

At 10:05 PM 1/19/98 +0000, James Green wrote:

>Put it this way, if the W3C can implement our proposal in RDF ready for
>the next release of complient browsers, so be it, but if including it
>in a HTML 4.1 version to be ready for the next version of complient
>browsers is faster, then do the latter, on other words:
>
>   Don't bother doing it in RDF unless the browsers can support it
>   quickly. Otherwise, it'll be HTML 4.x.

Considering that the leadership of the W3C RDF standards effort include
Netscape and Microsoft people, it would seem safe to assume that the
browsers will implement RDF quickly.  I'm quite sure that you'll see
support for RDF from both of those companies within a few months, although
obviously I can't speak for them!  However, I can speak for Verity.  We
will support RDF in a product that will be beta at the end of next month,
even before the RDF specs are completed.  Obviously, we'll have to modify
our product as the spec is nailed down, but our customers are demanding
standards in this area, not only for the kind of problem you described, but
many others having to do with resource discovery and navigation.

Nick Arnett

--
    Senior Product Manager, Knowledge Applications
        Verity Inc.  (http://www.verity.com/)