Re: Suggestion: ALTHREF attribute

At 01:43 PM 15/01/98 +0000, James Green wrote:

><MIRROR HREF="http://www.myname.com.au/">

What about

<LINK REL="Alternate" HREF="http://www.myname.com.au/" TYPE="text/html">

?  No extension to HTML needed.

>This invariably brings up the problem of what to do should the user
>bring up http://www.myname.com/content/articles/170.html which has an
>internal link to, say, 171.html, which is down or too slow. Should the
>MIRROR tag have the name URL as per the first example, and have the
>browser take a look and find the file within that domain directory, or
>should the MIRROR URL be of the form:
>
><MIRROR HREF="http://www.myname.com.au/conent/articles/">

<LINK REL="Alternate"
HREF="http://www.myname.com/content/articles/170.html" TYPE="text/html">

The URI above would then act similar to a BASE URI as far as interpreting
relative URIs within the document.

>But what if the two directories are completely different up to your
>'area'?
>
>For example (real one):
>
>1) http://users.aol.com/cnsweb1/
>
>mirrored at:
>
>2) http://schools.sys.uea.ac.uk/schoolnet/jg/
>
>Under such situation the URL mirror should point to the full path up to
>the root directory you own, e.g. the 1st site would point to:
>
><MIRROR HREF="http://schools.sys.uea.ac.uk/schoolnet/jg/"
>
>the 2nd:
>
><MIRROR HREF="http://users.aol.com/cnsweb1/"
>
>Any files within these directories and of course directories within
>directories should contain the exact same tag.

Then you're linking a single document to an entire site.  I think it would
be more straightforward if the mirror link pointed to the corresponding
document, particularly if using the LINK element, since other LINKs apply
to the document and not the site.

--
Liam Quinn