Re: Suggestion: ALTHREF attribute

James Green (
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 12:18:39 +0000 (GMT)

From: James Green <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 12:18:39 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Suggestion: ALTHREF attribute

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 19:35:05 -0500 Liam Quinn <> wrote:

> At 01:43 PM 15/01/98 +0000, James Green wrote:
> >
> What about
> <LINK REL="Alternate" HREF="" TYPE="text/html">
> ?  No extension to HTML needed.

[ ... ]

> >Any files within these directories and of course directories within
> >directories should contain the exact same tag.
> Then you're linking a single document to an entire site.  I think it would
> be more straightforward if the mirror link pointed to the corresponding
> document, particularly if using the LINK element, since other LINKs apply
> to the document and not the site.

That could become an administrative headache. Should you be unfortunate
enough to maintain a large site, one with possibly many mirrors, then
giving the exact mirror locations for each link could possibly create
the need for a completely new post in a company - just to keep up with
them and maintain them. This is impracticle for us mere mortals who are
a one-man band.

When I suggested using one location - the root mirror - it was intended
to make the server/client software figure out where the local (current)
file was on the mirror server, based on the local (following the root)
pathname, e.g. being of
exactly the same contents as - a file
being of the form /content/articles/170html being in both the above
directories. Of course, both would have to be of identicle structure
and naming system for the browser to find it. Alternatively, should a
web site have it's files 'mapped' to a mirror's filenames, then perhaps
a textfile maintained in the root could serve as a lookup - this
however, would not be very sensible and avoided at all costs.

James Green

Term e-mail:   |   Home e-mail: