Re: Suggestion: ALTHREF attribute

Dave Raggett (dsr@w3.org)
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 16:25:12 +0000 ()

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 16:25:12 +0000 ()
From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
To: Jukka Korpela <jkorpela@cc.hut.fi>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Suggestion: ALTHREF attribute

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Jukka Korpela wrote:

> There is currently no way to provide an alternative resource
> to be used when the resource specified in the HREF attribute
> of an A element is inaccessible (temporarily, e.g. due to
> server being offline, or permanently, e.g. due to resource
> having been deleted).

This is another example of why we need ways to say more
about the resource identified by a URL. Work on RDF[1] may
provide a solution, but there may be value in easier to
use "sugared syntax" for common cases. W3C is starting
to collect suggestions for further work on HTML and plans
to hold a meeting on this in May. I would like to start
to catalog suggestions on the W3C HTML pages.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Metadata/

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)