Re: FRAMES and CGI-scripts

Richard Ian Coates (Richard@coatesr.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:07:13 +0000

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:07:13 +0000
To: www-html@w3.org, Sofie Johansson Kokkinakis <svesj@svenska.gu.se>
From: Richard Ian Coates <Richard@coatesr.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: FRAMES and CGI-scripts

Dear Sofie,

I've been using cgi-script extensively on our site with frames for about=20
a month now and don't think we have had any problems. (at least I=20
haven't spotted them ... yet!)

I would be very interested to know if there were any problems in this=20
area and, more importantly, whether there was a solution. (as it looks=20
as though this may be under the control of the "client's browser =20
configuration")

In our case all the "parameters" are passed as part of the "<A HREF"=20
command.

The only problem we did get were intermittent "400 Bad Requests" (empty=20
page). This was VERY intermittent and occurred only after a "SUBMIT"=20
command (rather than the "<A HREF" command) to display a framed screen.

(eg If you were to click on "submit" when going "Direct to an=20
Advertisement" on our France "home page" - http://inter-pages.com).

No one else has ever reported this problem to me though! (They might be=20
too shy to do so, or more likely and worrying, think it is their=20
problem!)

I'd be very interested if anyone else had experienced this problem; i.e.=20
the "400 Bad Requests" from a "submit".

Regards, Richard

In message <Pine.HPP.3.91.980227104654.11336C@logos.svenska.gu.se>,=20
Sofie Johansson Kokkinakis <svesj@svenska.gu.se> writes

>Hello,
>
>Since I started using frames I seem to have a problem with "cache" memory.
>
>When I activate a cgi-script from a form or a "<A HREF" link, I get no=20
>new results, only the old results come up.=20
>
>I have used the attribute "target=3D_top" in all my forms and links.
>
>I did not have this problem before I started using frames, so the scripts=
=20
>must be correct.
>
>Does anyone know if this is a problem that can only be solved by setting=20
>the choice to "Empty cache every time" in "Preferences" or is there=20
>another solution?
>
>Thanks for any help,
>
>Sofie Johansson Kokkinakis

>*  Sofie Johansson Kokkinakis          E-mail: sofie@svenska.gu.se   *
>*  Systemanalyst/ Ph.D Student         Tel: +46 (0)31 773 4586       *
>*  Spr=E5kdata, Inst. f=F6r svenska spr=E5ket Fax: +46 (0)31 773 4455     =
  *
>*  (Dept. of Swedish Language)                                       *
>*  G=F6teborgs universitet                                             *=20
>*  S-412 98 G=D6TEBORG, Sweden           http://svenska.gu.se/~svesj/  *=20
>*      Computers are not intelligent. They just think they are.      *=20

=20
Richard Ian Coates (Tel: [+44] (0) 181-519-4669 Fax: [+44] (0) 181-221-1055)

     InterPages Ltd, InterPages House, 66, Evesham Road, London E15 4AJ

                Providers of Advertising Services on the Internet
               =20
          ****** Find your ideal holiday in France / Spain ******
          *             and have a look at what a               *
          *          property would cost you to buy.            *
          *             http://inter-pages.com                  *
          ******        http://www.CancerBACUP.co.uk       ******