Re: Question re Deprecation

Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor (roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:11:47 -0500 (EST)

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:11:47 -0500 (EST)
From: "Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor" <roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Question re Deprecation

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Lisa Pease wrote:

> If HTML 4.0 is preserving B and I elements, why not U for simple uses? I
> hate underline in general, and deplore its widespread usage. But for an
> access key indicator, I would surely miss it.

I agree that deprecating U without deprecating B and I is uncalled for.
I've seen U legitamately used for underlining book titles in a Works
Cited section.  I can only assume the reasoning was because *some*
UA's underline their hyperlinks.  I don't believe how present UA's render
some element should affect which elements are deprecated and which are
not.

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"